It is a now a requirement that practices must ensure that each patient on their practice list is assigned a named, accountable GP.
Responsibilities of a named GP:
- Take lead responsibility for ensuring that all appropriate services required under the contract with the practice are delivered to the patient
- Where required, based on the professional judgement of the named GP, work with relevant associated health and social care professionals to deliver a multidisciplinary care package that meets the needs of the patient
- Ensure that the physical and psychological needs of the patient are recognised and responded to by the relevant clinicians in the practice
- Ensure that the patient has access to a health check if requested, which is already a requirement of the GP contract regulations.
The named GP will not:
- Take on the responsibility for the work of other doctors or health professionals
- Take on 24-hour responsibility for you, or have to change their working hours. The requirement does not imply personal availability for GPs throughout the working week.
- Be the only GP or Clinician who will provide care to you.
You can and should feel free to choose to see any GP or nurse in the practice in line with current arrangements.
Please feel free to contact us to find out who your allocated GP is.